Evolution of a Mash-Up

 

 

 

 

The main concept for my piece was to represent both main characters without actually having them as part of the piece. As I’m developing ideas for this mash up, I was invited to participate in a 40′s and 50′s inspired Art Show at a gallery here in Orlando, and researching for that project, the idea of doing war pin ups just really took over. Unfortunately, I just wouldn’t have time to do it in color, the way I first had in mind. So my second choice was to do is as a black and white photograph, trying to emulate the idea of a head shot promo from burlesque dancers, including a autograph and a big red lipstick lip-impression.

 

Reference is a big part of all my work, so I use PS to come up with mock ups with different body parts and objects, making sure the light source looks good:

 

 

 

 

 

Next, using graphite on Pastel paper, I did both renderings on separated sheets and then scanned in grayscale. I wanted some texture, thats why the choice of pastel paper. I used white charcoal for the highlights and gesso for the little highlights on the dress.

 

 

 

 

 

 

After all scanned in and color corrected, I asked my wife to come up with two autographs that would sort of represent a girly hand-writing and a more angular one. Googled for lip impressions and old photos, then added some texture for good measure and voila! Hope you liked it.

 

 

 

2 thoughts on “Evolution of a Mash-Up

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>